(The oil was a little hot to begin with, but they weren't burned so they still tasted good. I did some without coconut for Danny--but he liked the coconut ones better!!)
I made these two days ago for dinner and they were AWESOME. The only thing I might do differently is to butterfly the shrimp. You can google how to do that.
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup beer (I used Coke, but you could use Sprite as well)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup flour
2 cups shredded or flaked coconut (shredded will get more on because it is longer)
24 shrimp with tails on(totally estimated here--we could have made probably half as much more with the amount of batter.
3 cups oil for frying
Combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, COKE, and baking powder.
Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in separate bowls.
Hold shrimp by tails and cover in flour, shaking off excess, dip in batter letting the excess drip off, and press into the coconut until coated well. Place on wax paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (I think this is to set the batter so it isn't as runny).
When oil is heated to 350 degrees (medium), fry the shrimp turning once for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and put on paper towel to drain. Serve warm.
I didn't have a sauce handy (because this was kind-of spur of the moment), so I mixed these things and got a pretty good dipping sauce. No idea on the measurements though--you will have to do it to taste. It comes out a little runny.
mayo
cinnamon
nutmeg
cayenne pepper
salt
honey
pineapple juice
I know--sounds odd--but it seemed to work.
yummy! i love coconut shrimp! i'm totally making these.
ReplyDeleteand kristi, i'm really surprised you didn't use beer.
jk ;)
ooh, look at the SILs getting all sassy and bossy on us. revolution!
ReplyDeletejk. love it. thank you for the call to repentance. i will have to check these recipes out when i have a chance and maybe even post one or two. sweet!
we are on a DIET (gasp!) and i am needing some yummy healthy recipes. help a sistah out?
christy: revolution, indeed! deal with it yo.
ReplyDelete:) haha
and didn't you know that the first three letters in DIET spell DIE??
HA! jk. i will rack my brain... i've got a couple good ones. :)